What Does SLS Stand for? What Are the Harmful Effects of SLS?
The substance known as SLS stands for Sodium Lauryl Sulphate. Sodium Lauryl Sulphate is an irritant substance. This chemical, which is easily absorbed by the skin, takes place in the skin for a few days. Sodium Lauryl Sulphate can also react with various chemicals and turn into nitrosamines known to be carcinogenic. So, where is Sodium Lauryl Sulfate used? What are the harmful effects?
Which Products Contain SLS?
- Tooth paste
- Floor soaps
- Bath foams
- Soluble aspirin
- Body wash
- Face wash
- Cleaning products
- Makeup removal products
- Hair dyes
- Body lotions
- Makeup products
Sodium Lauryl Sulphate is used in all these products and it is the main ingredient that creates the foaming effect. For most people, foaming is a good sign of cleanliness, but it is actually the opposite because Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, which makes these products foam, is a very heavy chemical.
What Are the Harmful Effects of SLS?
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, which imitates the estrogen hormone, affects reproductive development as well as sexual health.
- SLS that hair follicles absorb can directly reach the eye area and damage the eyes.
- It may increase existing allergic reactions or create new allergic reactions.
- High degree of SLS absorption can be quite harmful for internal organs.
- It can damage hair follicles, cells and structure with the chemicals in its content.
- It can accelerate cancer formation by reacting with other chemicals that cause cancer in the body.
- It irritates the top surface of the skin, regardless of age. That’s why you should prefer shampoos that do not contain SLS.
- Apart from the human body, it has many damages to the functioning of nature, that is to the ecosystem.
- The chemical, which enters the body through shampoo or toothpaste containing Sodium Lauryl Sulphate and is mixed into the bloodstream, is very harmful for human health even when taken below 1%.
- It causes toxic effects on blood cells.
- Especially SLS taken orally with toothpaste causes gum bleeding and gum swelling. At the same time, it affects the sensitivity of the teeth by reducing the resistance of the teeth to acids.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, which completely disrupts the moisture balance of the skin, causes a very dry skin. Shampoos that do not contain SLS are among the solutions to solve dry hair problems.